Thursday, February 19, 2009

2/16/09 Baton Rouge, New Orleans

Baton Rouge

Entering Louisiana is like driving into a story book--trees shooting out of the water, the suspended bridge above Lake Pontchartrain, and the old houses.
So surreal.
Carrie and I recovered from a long nights rampage of wine and conversation while driving to Baton Rouge. There we met my dear friend Ben Bell to perform at Chelsea's Cafe. But before we hit the venue we dropped by WRKV to do a round with Public Radio's Taylor Caffery.
His show airs on Saturday 2/21/09. Those of you with iphones and computers see if you can find a web stream.
We performed in a round to an ever attentive listening room.
It was such a treat to sit next to Ben once again. He was the first guitar player I ever saw play live in Huntsville, Tx. and yes, he inspired me to pick up my piece of wood and start singing.
I still remember driving up Guadalupe in Austin with Ben to purchase my first Seagull Guitar.
I didn't even know one chord.

Special thanks to Ray and Beryl for their hospitality and Ben for lining it up!

WRKV Hootenanny Power w/ Taylor Caffery





New Orleans

All I could think about was Gumbo! Louis, Carrie and I strolled down to the French Quarter, ate dinner, powdered our noses with beignets and played a set in the oldest coffee house in New Orleans--Neutral Ground.
Crazy little cabin feel to the room. Special thanks for Louis and Gina.
Louis and there cute shotgun house.

Trivia I Learned: What's a Shotgun House?
"The Shotgun house is a narrow one-story dwelling without halls. Each room is placed behind the other in single file. The roof ridge is perpendicular to the street. The traditional description of why these houses are called "shotgun" is that if one fired a shotgun through the front door, the shot would pass through the lined-up doors of each room and out the back door."

My bowl of original New Orleans Gumbo--to Jon!



Louis, Carrie and Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment